kernel of Red Hat Linux 8.0
Steven Mugassa
2002-12-24 12:10:32 UTC
Hi there!

I have installed Red Hat Linux 8.0 in a computer that is to be a
server in a high latency network. The problem i am getting is that
a client PC can not ftp from that server. So, is this the problem
of Red Hat Linux 8.0? Does its kernel have problems with high latency
networks? When i used
Windows 2000 servers there was no such problem. So, I need a piece
of an advice from you guys.

Regards,
Steven

Deepak Mahadevappa
2002-12-24 12:18:18 UTC
Hi stevan ,

check the /etc/inetd.conf file whether ftp service is commented or
not. If it is commented remove the comment on the server.

Regards
deepak

Leslie Donaldson
2002-12-24 17:47:13 UTC
Hello,
a few issues here...
1. ftp is disable by default. To reactivate
- edit the file /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd
- change the yes on the disable line to no.
- issue an "/etc/init.d/xinetd restart" to restart xinnetd.

2. The real issue is ft. drop it if possible. I would suggest sftp.
On the windows side for sftp I would recomend putty. It (putty)
also contains an FULL ssh client and will support tunneling X
protocol.

And the author has an Windows/NT alpha version :) O yhea.

.
--
/----------------------------\ Current Contractor: None
| Leslie F. Donaldson | Current Customer : None
| Computer Contractor | Skills: Unix/OS9/VMS/Linux/SUN-OS/C/C++/assembly
| Have Computer will travel. | WWW : http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~donaldlf
\----------------------------/ Email: mail://***@cs.rose-hulman.edu
Goth Code V1.1: GoCS$$ TYg(T6,T9) B11Bk!^1 C6b-- P0(1,7) M+ a24 n--- b++:+
H6'11" g m---- w+ r+++ D--~!% h+ s10 k+++ R-- Ssw LusCA++
Arda Ulas Unlu
2002-12-25 07:10:39 UTC
You have to first check whether the ftp port is open, ftp service is on. (from "setup" command and
"system services"). I have been using Red Hat 8 for 2 months and I never saw any ftp errors. I
don't think the kernel has problems, because you know that it's almost the best. Check also ssh
and telnet services.
You can also check "lftp". Install and try it.

Responds are welcome.

Regards
Ezzeldin S. Ezzeldin
2002-12-25 18:05:23 UTC
I do have the same problem. I can't ftp into my linux box but I can ftp out.

Ezzeldin
Garv Austin
2002-12-26 20:03:14 UTC
Have you run ntsysv and make sure wu-ftpd is checked (or possibly vsftpd)?
Oliver Pitzeier
2003-01-13 08:23:54 UTC
Hey, volks!
Post by Ezzeldin S. Ezzeldin
Post by Ezzeldin S. Ezzeldin
I do have the same problem. I can't ftp into my linux box
but I can ftp
Post by Ezzeldin S. Ezzeldin
out.
Have you run ntsysv and make sure wu-ftpd is checked (or
possibly vsftpd)?
[ ... ]
Post by Ezzeldin S. Ezzeldin
Axp-kernel-list mailing list
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/axp-kernel-list
Have you seen this footer??? This is a AXP-kernel specific mailinglist. It's not
recommended for discussing FTP problems!
Or do you run RH8.0 on an Alpha? And even if, do you really believe that your
FTP problem may be a problem of the RH kernel?

Thanks,
Oliver